Check the weather forecast before you set out
Is your journey really necessary?
If it is an option, think about using public transport.
If you really do need to go by car, make sure you:
- Listen to local radio or the BBC for weather updates - both broadcast local road reports and weather information
- Let a friend or relative know that you will be travelling before you leave - preferably someone at your destination
- Give yourself plenty of time: leave earlier and don't hurry - better late than not at all
- Get your battery checked
- Check that your tyres are suitable
- Carry a shovel in the boot
- Fully charge your mobile phone in case of emergency
- Have enough fuel and oil. For a long journey maybe take a fuel can in case of emergency. Petrol stations can close in bad weather!