1. Login / Register
  2. Cymraeg
Close Icon
  1. Login / Register
Notice: War on plastics documentary
Read more

Council Tax

If you receive Universal Credit and another benefit such as Child Benefit/Personal Independence Payment/Carers Allowance or what is classed as "unearned income" then you may receive an incorrect Council Tax Bill. Your bill may show a reduced entitlement to Council Tax Reduction. We are working to correct this and new bills will be issued in the week 1/4/2019 showing your corrected Council Tax Reduction if applicable.

However, the regulations for Welsh authorities have required that no disregards are applied to any earned incomes for Council Tax Reduction claims in which the claimant or partner has Universal Credit income.  Up until now anyone receiving Universal Credit and working was getting an additional disregard off their earnings.

Powys County Council will be implementing this regulation from 1st April 2019. If you receive Universal Credit and also work then you may be entitled to less Council Tax Reduction from 1st April 2019.

 If you have any concerns over your bill or the amounts you have already paid, please contact us directly either via email revenues@powys.gov.uk or via telephone 01597827463 and do not respond to phone calls or any text messages you may receive suggesting you may be eligible for a refund or a banding reduction as we are aware that fraudulent organisations operate in this area.  

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon